Thursday 12 October 2006

scary stuff...

Remember the Sunscreen song (Baz Luhrmann’s Everybody's Free)? I heard it on the radio this morning and thought ‘this is the first time in ages I am hearing it. I should listen to the words carefully’. And so I did. Afterwards the presenter said that he also hadn’t heard it in probably five years and also listened to the words carefully. He said that after all these year, the words suddenly had so much more meaning than he remembered. And so it did for me.

Read the
lyrics again and see just how true it became after all these years…

What caught my attention the most was the phrase: ‘Do one thing everyday that scares you’.

The thing is, you see, a while ago I decided to do something creative every single day for the rest of this year. And that scares me. I never know where my creativity might lead me to and I perceive the unknown as a bit scary. There is no plan, no map and no recipe because you don’t plan your creativity. It just happens. You’ll never know where it would take you unless you take that step into the unknown. For me, doing something creative everyday means doing something that scares me everyday.

To state the point I am trying to get at, my writing here (as a form of my creativity) led my thoughts into a whole new direction. As I said, there is now guide as to where our creativity could lead, but so there aren’t for many other things in life. Like love. And life itself. But if life doesn’t scare me that much, why does love? Why am I so scared to love?

Is it because I will have to give and show too much of myself? Or is it of what I could loose? I don’t know. But what I do know is that I need to do one thing everyday that scares me to be able to live life fully.

No comments:

Post a Comment