Wednesday 24 June 2009

Woolies-koekies

Ek het vanoggend die onderstaande epos gekry. Ek het geen idee of dit waar is of nie (ek twyfel eintlik sterk), maar ek het gedink dis 'n goeie storie en die resep lyk yummie! Dus deel ek dit ook hier.
Woolworths, if you don't know already, is a very expensive clothing and supermarket outlet (they sell a typical R50 T-shirt for R150). My daughter and I had just finished lunch at a Woolies Cafe in Hyde Park, Johannesburg. Because both of us are such biscuit lovers, we decided to try the 'Woolies Cookie'. It was so excellent that I asked if they would give me the recipe. The waitress said with a small frown, 'I'm afraid not, but you can buy the recipe.'

I asked how much, and she responded; 'Only two fifty - it's a great deal'

I agreed to that, and told her to add it to my bill.

Thirty days later, I got my Visa statement, and the Woolworths charge was R485. I looked at it again, and I remembered I had only spent R49.95 for two sandwiches and about R120 for a scarf. At the bottom of the statement, it said, 'Cookie Recipe - R250.00'. That was outrageous!

I called Woolworths Accounting Department and told them the waitress had said it was 'two fifty', which clearly does not mean 'two hundred and fifty rands' by any reasonable interpretation of the phrase. Woolworths refused to budge. They would not refund my money because according to them 'What the waitress told you, is not our problem. You have already seen the recipe. We absolutely will not refund your money.'

I explained to the Accounting Department lady the criminal statutes which govern fraud in the state of Gauteng. I threatened to report them to the Better Business Bureau and The Attorney-General's office. I was basically told 'Do what you want. Don't bother thinking of how you can get even, and don't bother trying to get any of your money back.'

I said, OK, you've got my R250, and now I'm going to have R250 worth of fun. I told her that I was going to see to it that every cookie lover in the world with an e-mail account gets a R250 cookie recipe from Neiman-Marcus for free. She replied, 'I wish you wouldn't do that.' I said, 'Well, perhaps you should have thought of that before you RIPPED ME OFF!' and slammed down the phone.

So here it is! Please pass it on to everyone you can possibly think of. I paid R250 for this, and I don't want Woolworths to EVER make another cent from this recipe!

WOOLIES COOKIES
(Recipe may be halved as this makes heaps)

2 (500 ml) cups butter
680 g chocolate chips
4 (1000 ml) cups flour
2 (500 ml) cups brown sugar
2 tsp. (10 ml) Bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp. (5 ml) salt
2 (500 ml) cups sugar
500 g Grated Cadbury chocolate
5 (1250 ml) cups blended oatmeal
4 eggs
2 tsp. (10 ml) baking powder
2 tsp. (10 ml) vanilla
3 cups (375 ml) chopped nuts (optional)

Measure oatmeal, and blend in a blender to a fine powder. Cream the butter and both sugars. Add eggs and vanilla, mix together with flour, oatmeal, salt, baking powder, and bicarbonate of soda. Add chocolate chips, grated Chocolate and nuts. Roll into balls, and place two inches apart on a cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes at 180 C.

The above quantities make 112 cookies.

2 comments:

  1. Just to let you know that it is a spam scam thingy... if you go to snopes they talk about the Nieman-Marcus chain which is almost completely identical to the version you have (and I have... I've been doing damage control all avie!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ek het nou al meer as een epos / kommentaar gekry van mense wat my oortuig hierdie storie is 'n 'hoax'.

    Wat my egter hiervan irriteer, is dat as hulle my inleiding gelees het, sou hulle agterkom dat ek self aan die waarheid daarvan twyfel.

    Dus, as iemand nog wonder: ek het dit geplaas omdat EK DINK DIT MAAK 'N GOEIE STORIE EN DIE RESEP LYK YUMMIE! En geen ander rede nie.

    ReplyDelete