Wednesday 10 January 2007

Kinds of love

Marcia said, ‘I came because I care about you desperately. Even if you and I aren’t going to stay together, I still want to know that you’re safe. I still want to know that you’re happy.’

She looked up. Her voice came out as a brave, tearful gasp. ‘Yes’, she said. I know. It’s wonderful, isn’t it? Wonderful how many different varieties of love there are. There are as many different varieties of love as there are candies in a sweetshop. I think you and I had the kind that tastes very, very sweet while it lasts, but melts away before you realise it’s gone. Fondants, isn’t that it? Strawberry fondants. It’s a pity we didn’t have the barely sugar. It doesn’t taste so sweet, but it lasts almost forever.’


Graham Masterton
Maiden Voyage
(p416 – 417)

No comments:

Post a Comment