Sunday 12 November 2006

inspiration II

During a creative writing course I did while at university, the professor (an acclaimed South African writer) used to say that there is no such thing as 'needing inspiration'. It is a matter of sitting down and write. Thus, merely putting one word after another... the exact same thing I came across in a couple of books on writing.

I beg to differ – I need inspiration.

I recently asked myself the question of whether it is a case seeking for inspiration or does it have to come to you. I came to the conclusion that it has to come to you – seeing or hearing something that opens your mind to a new direction and leads you to something you just have to write down immediately.

I found seeking for inspiration very uninspiring and forced. I don’t want to go out and look for inspiration, however going out and looking, usually leads to inspiration. Although not intentionally seeking inspiration, you have to keep you eyes and hears open for when it might come to you.

This posting started out as a single sentence comment on another blogger’s
posting, and turned into a posting of my own. This is proof of my point that accidentally stumbling across a few words by someone else could inspire you to write down your own thoughts on the subject. Also see my previous posting on inspiration.
I am quite convinced this won't be my last word on the subject :)

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:49 pm

    Thanks for the comment. It's nice to know that someone reads my crap.

    Still doesn't answer my question as to why I need validation from external sources.

    Ciao

    ~T~

    ReplyDelete